I have a legitimate business and wanted to use my trucks in our off season. But to operate legally and to go from "private carrier" hauling our own product to "for hire" meant I have to apply for a MC number from the USDOT.

This is very expensive and time consuming process. And if I wanted to haul vehicles I needed $1,000,000 liability insurance and have a Class 9 hazardous material rating. The total cost $11,000 to do it right. Then I have to compete with a bunch of people driving around with their personal pick up trucks hauling all kinds of trailers, some with vehicles hanging over the edge.

Geez people, what are you thinking!? Their profiles show no USDOT or MC authority so probably their own personal insurance. I would be underbid all day long. UShip states clearly that shippers need to verify their carrier's insurance and operating authority.

But seems like that doesn't happen to often. If a carrier hauls your cargo across state lines and is illegal and gets pulled over your cargo can be impounded. And what if they have an accident? There are some decent carriers on UShip, but the nature of the site attracts those who skirt federal regulations.

UShip take a hefty fee, then add tolls, fuel and other expenses and I couldn't compete. So, my advice is BUYER BEWARE! Cheaper is not always better! Do your due diligence and know your carrier and have them prove that they are legal.

If not you are at fault for what happens. The fact that every carrier needs lots of bids is because of the low prices people want to pay. Haulers have to keep their vehicles loaded. And when shippers don't respond to emails, well that makes for a lot of wasted time and effort looking for jobs.

So I am out. I cannot operate in this type of arena. That is what I get for wanting to do it right.

But please be careful if you are looking for what might not be the bargain you think. UShip is definitely "You get what you pay for"

Reason of review: Not as described.

Comments

Yea all of these comments are true DONT USE THESE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!! I WAITED FOR 3 WEEKS FOR THEM TO PICK UP A QUAD AND THE DAY BEFORE THEY CANCELLED PICKUP WITH NO ANSWER OF PUTTING IT OUT TO BID THEY SAID WE CONTACT WITHIN 3 DAYS, SO I FILED A CLAIM WITH MY CREDIT CARD CO.NOW WHAT I HAVE TO START FROM SCRATCH AGAIN!!! PIECE OF CRAP COMPANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a current carrier and agree with everything that was said. My opinion of Uship has definitely gone downhill over the past couple years.

If they don't like what you say then they suspend your account, even if what you're saying is totally accurate. I once told a customer that Uship charges us a fee, which is true and stated on their website by them even, and I was flagged and threatened with suspension.

Too many silly policies over there. In the end they chase away the quality people and cater to the bottom feeders.