15.5K views

If you are trying to move an item from one area to another, you are a shipper and this post is for you. First of all, BEWARE, Uship is a ripoff and they operate outright illegally. For one, they force your carrier to bid on your freight in an "all enclusive" manner. Therefore the carrier must include items like tolls, permits (where applicable) and something called the truck's fuel surcharge. The last item, the (FSC), is absolutely illegel for anyone to touch. They take a percentage of all of the bid. ILLEGAL

But for you the shipper, that is a moot point. What you want is the best price possible from a carrier that can accomplish this both legally and safely. Pay attention here from a lisenced, legal carrier and I will teach you how to beat the USHIP ripoff system. All you need is the knowledge and I will explain the way. This is what you do....

If you don't have an account, go and set one up on SHIP (yes you heard me correct) and post your load. Then wait for your bids to come in. Now here is the tricky part. Every carrier that bids on your freight has a profile. Click on that carriers user name. He or she will have all the typical BS claiming that he is the best carrier in the world. But, what also will be there is his USDOT or MC number. This is what you are looking for. If their number is not listed... DO NOT USE THIS CARRIER!!! He is illegal. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

If his number is there, it's time for you to get your best price and here is what you need to know. Copy this number down or right click and copy. DO NOT click and follow the link supplied by USHIP. It is bogus. It is filtered from the real site. It is outdated. Instead go here...

This is a public domain. If you are a legal carrier in the USA all of your company information will be shown here. Including company address, what they are legal to haul. and company TELEPHONE NUMBER. You can search the company by name, dot # or MC #. If the company is not listed or the company is inactive..move on...once again you are being warned.

Now that you have this information this is the way it all comes together.

As explained above, I am a professional carrier. Recently I had my own personal item (a ATV) in Virginia that I wanted shipped to Florida. I did everything I explained above. Within 1 day I had 14 bids ranging from $580 to $935 to haul a 1400lb ATV. Out of the 14 bids, 7 of them came from carriers with no legal authority. No DOT. No MC. Even if their price was "good", I know if he gets caught my stuff ends up in an impound lot costing me 10x to get it back out. And if there is an accident? I am SOL.

But then there was this $580 bid from a small independent carrier so I punched his DOT number in the SAFERWEB site and 'viola... his business phone number.

OK shippers pay attention here...

I called him up direct. I said, "I think you have a truck in the Virginia area with some space. Is that correct?"

He said, "Ummmm, wellll, errr, yeah, but not till Monday."

Of course I knew that because he had bid for a Monday pick up. I said, "Great, I have a small ATV up there and I need it hauled back to Florida. Want to give me a bid?", all the while never letting up that I knew all about his bid on USHIP. Then I described my ATV and offered to send him a picture. Of course it was the same picture posted on USHIP.

He said, "I just bid that item on USHIP!"

I quickly interrupted him and said this.. (shippers this is important) "I don't know anything about any *** USHIP ***. Do you want the job or not? Give me a bid."

He chuckled and said "Sure. $580 minus USHIP broker fees comes to $475. Deal?"

"YUP" I said, "I will pay you $475 cash when you get my toy to my house. Not 1 penny up front. ..and BTW, I know where you live!!"

Looking up his authority and making sure he was a legal carrier gave me peace of mind and saved me $105 to boot.

Pass this information to all you know and make USHIP change their illegal practices to help protect the "mom and pop" type shipper who simply don't know any better.

Product or Service Mentioned: Uship Account.

Comments

to Clstruckingmd #1497192

Uship does not require you to list your numbers. A lot of them don't have them.

to Anonymous #1047122

If you are a for hire company going state to state the federal law requires you to get numbers dot and mc. It doesn't matter your weight your truck your trailer.

Really people get a clue or find out on your own after u get waked with a 10 grand fine were you get stopped.

Then when that state sends the info to the Feds u will get a knock on the door and up too another 100 thousand in fines. But you heroes find that out the hard way

Well, I also agree with that post but would like to point out that some other shipping platforms actually exist: they are smaller and operate in a much more honest way (movingcroc.com being one of them, from the top of my head...)

I agree with some of what was said but there is one thing that needs to be corrected. You do not have to have a DOT or Mc number to haul alot of these loads.

If your vehicle and trailer combined is under 26000 you do not fall under Dot regulations. The only requirements that are needed in this situation is the proper insurance.

I have been doing hot shot loads for the last 10yrs and have contacted every state in which I run through and they all say the same thing I just stated.

to Anonymous #885306

You are required to obtain a USDOT number if you have a vehicle that:

•Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or

•Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or

•Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or

•Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous and transported in a quantity requiring placarding.

AND is involved in Interstate commerce: Trade, traffic, or transportation in the United States— •Between a place in a State and a place outside of such State (including a place outside of the United States); •Between two places in a State through another State or a place outside of the United States; or •Between two places in a State as part of trade, traffic, or transportation originating or terminating outside the State or the United States.

to Anonymous Tampa, Florida, United States #903068

Really?

Maybe the laws changed in the last ten yrs because they said I needed everything except a cdl for anything over 10,000 but under 26,000. And a cdl for anything over 26,001

to Anonymous #1015205

Where do you get your work from? My combined is way under 26,000 and yet i cant get on any of the loadboards for hauling cars and whatnot because i dont have an mc#.

So now im jumping through the hoops to get that. So please reveal your secret of where you get your loads.

to Anonymous #1497194

Go to uship.com set up a profile and look for loads. That is what this entire post is about.

You may or may not be operating legally but you can find loads there. Prepare yourself, some people work really cheap there.

#820659

I like the post and appreciate that you understand the importance and the cost of being a licensed and insured carrier. Also, "not one penny up front", we don't work that way.

Thank you!!!!!!

Houston, Texas, United States #809962

U know that not every carrier has to have USDOT or MC numbers right... it depends on the local state regulations as well as type of vehicle and weight of the vehicle and of the load... if someone is paying to move their washer and dryer you don't need to have USDOT numbers any more than you need them for renting a Uhaul and doing it yourself.

SaraDallas
Dallas, Texas, United States #805511

I just wanted to add my two cent in here. I agree with Rich about the license, regulations, etc.

All it is a way to give the government money and control over you. I bought a car on eBay. I tried for a week to get a shipping company, I managed to find the sleaziest broker in Miami that put my load on a board of some sorts. For a week he didn't call or anything.

I tried another broker, but he wouldn't book my shipment because the *** bag in Miami had already listed me on the board. I went to Uship and posted my shipment and had it picked up in less than two days. Cost me $200 more, but at least I didn't feel ripped off. How can you say Uship is illegal, a scam, etc?

It is just another avenue to get a load if you are a private trucker. I'm sure there is a trucking brokers association that will eventually shut down Uship through government regulations or some nonsense.

But I for one am glad they are there so I don;t have to be treated like a piece of *** by some arrogant broker.

to SaraDallas Niles, Michigan, United States #1053667

yea i do see your point people all the time just looking to get something shipped and not have to pay alot

to SaraDallas Las Vegas, Nevada, United States #1124170

totally agree, I have shipped 2 cars, a motorcycle, a pickup truck, a 2 story house (including fish tanks) and have only AWESOME things to say about USHIP. This post seems to be inspired by someone bitter or someone that is angry at the wrong people.

Manchester, England, United Kingdom #779985

I tried to get a bulldog transported from Aberdeenshire to Manchester which I wanted to bit the courier sent me a list of orders where to have the money sent. It was to Cameroon in Africa to a lady with an African name.

I asked why and he said it was just for a code. He rang me on a pay as u go phone and was actually an African man. I tried to ring the number which was an African code. I do believe this is a ***.

Just don't be conned. If it sounds to good to be true it usually is.

Sacramento, California, United States #779408

Same thing just happened for a dog to me. And they wanted additional money up front

Terence.. The saying is that if you want to make 1 million dollars in trucking.. Start by putting 2 million in the bank and stop trucking when you hit 1 million.

Start up trucking is expensive, very expensive. For example, my commercial insurance to haul freight costs me $800 per month. Whether I am hauling 30 days or sick in bed. Now if I was to add in costs like fuel and taxes and repair and bookkeeping and Uncle Sam and on and on and on. Keep in mind that I am a legal trucker.

Therefore, I can not compete, nor do I try to compete with truckers on Uship. I simply can't haul freight for $1 or so per mile.

Terrance this is exactly what you will be competing against as a "new" carrier. Til you can develop your own client base you will go broke. It happens every single day.

You can also do like many other truckers do (read the comments below) and claim that you don't need a DOT or MC number and you don't need silly stuff like an IFTA sticker (you don't if you never leave you home state), physical, drug screen enrollment plan, log books, no pulling in scales and on and on and on. Then you too can compete for Uship freight.

... at leats till DOT catches up with you, and they will.

In conclusion, if you want to make some extra money on the weekends, try hand washing cars in your driveway. At least you will actually make some money. HTH

to vstevenv Thibodaux, Louisiana, United States #761929

Thanks for the reply. My dream as a kid was to be a trucker or operate heavy equipment, instead I listened to my father and got an office job that is over stressing and boring.

Seems I've missed my chance in life to do something I enjoy and have to grind it out to support my family.

If I ever hit the lotto I may get to do some trucking, until then I will envy you guys who have the best views from your office window. Thanks for the straight forward answer to my questions.

Quick question, I was wanting to start hauling on the weekends to supplement my income and see if I can one day possibly do it full time. Reading all of these comments it seems it would cost me money to do this part time instead of put money in my pocket. Can anyone give me some advice on this?

Tampa, Florida, United States #754116

uVstevenV, Great write up and right to a tee. I have many of shippers who do just that to avoid paying usuck exborant fees to get my phone number.

I really don't care if they find out about it and throw me off their site as it is just as easy to get a shippers contact info as well. Just this week I went and took 6 of usucks customers away and f*&%ed usuck out of about 1600$.

What is really funny are folks like you that claim to be a truck driver and do not even know the basic rules for operating a commercial motor vehicle on public roads.

As for deleting your post.. no such luck. It is better that an innocent USHIP customer might read your silliness and learn something.

The .gov website I posted is for folks to verify a "so-called" truck driver's credentials, not to learn how to why one needs a dot number or not. Please try to read posts properly.

There ARE a few instances in where a person might be operating a commercial motor vehicle on the public road and does not need a DOT number. However, if you are carrying freight, any type of freight, FOR HIRE, you must have a DOT number. I don't care if you are driving a semi-truck, a pick-up truck or a pushing a *** wheel barrow.

Taxes.. An ex-truck driver as your self has no idea what the dated sticker is that is on ever single truck that crosses state lines? FYI, it is called an IFTA (Intrastate fuel tax agreement) sticker. When you get stopped by DOT for hauling commercial freight across state lines and you don't have one... find out what that ticket will cost you... plus all of your equipment and freight will be impounded. For some reason "they" get real funny when it comes to taxes. Personally I don't care what you loose. The original post is to help the typical Uship customer avoid have their stuff impounded when they use "professional" carriers like YOU.