15.5K views

If you are trying to move an item from one area to another, you are a shipper and this post is for you. First of all, BEWARE, Uship is a ripoff and they operate outright illegally. For one, they force your carrier to bid on your freight in an "all enclusive" manner. Therefore the carrier must include items like tolls, permits (where applicable) and something called the truck's fuel surcharge. The last item, the (FSC), is absolutely illegel for anyone to touch. They take a percentage of all of the bid. ILLEGAL

But for you the shipper, that is a moot point. What you want is the best price possible from a carrier that can accomplish this both legally and safely. Pay attention here from a lisenced, legal carrier and I will teach you how to beat the USHIP ripoff system. All you need is the knowledge and I will explain the way. This is what you do....

If you don't have an account, go and set one up on SHIP (yes you heard me correct) and post your load. Then wait for your bids to come in. Now here is the tricky part. Every carrier that bids on your freight has a profile. Click on that carriers user name. He or she will have all the typical BS claiming that he is the best carrier in the world. But, what also will be there is his USDOT or MC number. This is what you are looking for. If their number is not listed... DO NOT USE THIS CARRIER!!! He is illegal. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

If his number is there, it's time for you to get your best price and here is what you need to know. Copy this number down or right click and copy. DO NOT click and follow the link supplied by USHIP. It is bogus. It is filtered from the real site. It is outdated. Instead go here...

This is a public domain. If you are a legal carrier in the USA all of your company information will be shown here. Including company address, what they are legal to haul. and company TELEPHONE NUMBER. You can search the company by name, dot # or MC #. If the company is not listed or the company is inactive..move on...once again you are being warned.

Now that you have this information this is the way it all comes together.

As explained above, I am a professional carrier. Recently I had my own personal item (a ATV) in Virginia that I wanted shipped to Florida. I did everything I explained above. Within 1 day I had 14 bids ranging from $580 to $935 to haul a 1400lb ATV. Out of the 14 bids, 7 of them came from carriers with no legal authority. No DOT. No MC. Even if their price was "good", I know if he gets caught my stuff ends up in an impound lot costing me 10x to get it back out. And if there is an accident? I am SOL.

But then there was this $580 bid from a small independent carrier so I punched his DOT number in the SAFERWEB site and 'viola... his business phone number.

OK shippers pay attention here...

I called him up direct. I said, "I think you have a truck in the Virginia area with some space. Is that correct?"

He said, "Ummmm, wellll, errr, yeah, but not till Monday."

Of course I knew that because he had bid for a Monday pick up. I said, "Great, I have a small ATV up there and I need it hauled back to Florida. Want to give me a bid?", all the while never letting up that I knew all about his bid on USHIP. Then I described my ATV and offered to send him a picture. Of course it was the same picture posted on USHIP.

He said, "I just bid that item on USHIP!"

I quickly interrupted him and said this.. (shippers this is important) "I don't know anything about any *** USHIP ***. Do you want the job or not? Give me a bid."

He chuckled and said "Sure. $580 minus USHIP broker fees comes to $475. Deal?"

"YUP" I said, "I will pay you $475 cash when you get my toy to my house. Not 1 penny up front. ..and BTW, I know where you live!!"

Looking up his authority and making sure he was a legal carrier gave me peace of mind and saved me $105 to boot.

Pass this information to all you know and make USHIP change their illegal practices to help protect the "mom and pop" type shipper who simply don't know any better.

Product or Service Mentioned: Uship Account.

Comments

brian said:

"wouldn't mom and pop ask if the carrier was licensed and insured and ask for credentials?"

Typical "mom&pop" type shippers have no idea whatsoever what is required to drive a commercial truck on the highway. If they did know, they would not need USHIP at all.

"don't see how it is 'illegal' if you know up front what you are dealing with."

According to your silly theory, if you hire me to murder your enemy, you are fully aware so then it's not illegal. dumb

"you are just jealous there's a TV show and you are not on it."

I don't own nor watch TV. Hence, another *** comment from yourself.

i don't see how it is 'illegal' if you know up front what you are dealing with.

you are just jealous there's a TV show and you are not on it.

Hernandez said:

"I don't understand how any of the above is illegal, they bid and you get the lowest price."

Of course you don't understand because you are not a legal lisenced carrier. However, if you haul someone's freight and you are not lisence and insured to do so,,that is illegal.

"The fees that uship have seem reasonable, they have to make some money after all it is a business."

Once agin they might seem reasonalbe to you but they are not. In fact the fee they charge is illegal. It is against the law to take any of my fuel sur charge. The way a carrier must quote on Uship allows them to take a percentage of the FSC...illegal.

"Seems like your the one with issues, everything you said that was "ILLEGAL" doesn't seem illegal to me.

Once again, you are not a legal carrier so I would not expect you to know the rules. If you are a legal carrier, I strongly suggest you go to the FMCSA and start reading before you end up in jail.

"Looks like your upset cause you have to pay fees, what you expected to get the service for free?"

I would expect a broker to supply me with a legal carrier if they are going to charge me a fee. Now if you knew what a broker was, you would know that is exactly what UShip is. They connect a shipper with a carrier for a persentage of the line haul.

Learn the law or keep asking questions from folks like myself who know the law.

Best regards ..Steve

I don't understand how any of the above is illegal, they bid and you get the lowest price.The fees that uship have seem reasonable, they have to make some money after all it is a business. Seems like your the one with issues, everything you said that was "ILLEGAL" doesn't seem illegal to me.

Other than the part where the bidders don't have their info everything else seems legal to me. Looks like your upset cause you have to pay fees, what you expected to get the service for free?

Based on your knowledge of the technical terms(carrier, Safer)and the way the system works, your opinion seems valuable to potential customers. Good job!